Job Title: Teaching Assistant
Summary of Position
The teaching assistant will be responsible for assisting the teachers in the classroom with providing a safe and developmentally appropriate preschool program for young children. Children will be nurtured through engaging interactive activities that ensure the safety and well-being of all participants.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To provide support and assist the teacher with all classroom activities as necessary. This includes assisting with programs which enhance the physical, emotional, cognitive and creative growth of each child.
- To assist children on a one-on-one basis when necessary to meet their specific individual needs and ensure their success.
- To engage in informal communication with parents regarding their children’s progress.
- To demonstrate professional behavior toward staff, parents, and children.
- To provide a model for children to follow in use of language, respect for all others, and good behavior.
- To participate in programs of in-service training, conferences, workshops, and reading to promote professional growth and development, as per Human Services Rule #3 requirement. (2% of staff contract time per year must be spent in such training.) To share with other staff the experiences, readings, and other items of interest gained from these opportunities.
- Proven work history
- Love of children and all things associated with children: music, art, literature, movement, nature, play
- Okay with physical work
- Good sense of humor!
- Enjoy meeting people, children and adults
- In line with school’s philosophy: respect for each child’s temperament and learning style; focus on conflict resolution and social skills; importance of play in children’s development; teaching kindness and respect
- Thoughtful and gentle ability to guide children’s behavior
Hours of Work
The official school hours are 9:00 – 11:40 AM, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The teaching aide is expected to be present at the school from 8:45 AM – 12:00 PM one to three days per week during each school day as arranged in the employee’s contract, vacations excepted. This position requires 13 to 39 working hours per month during the school year depending on the number of working days per week.
SAP Co-op Preschool is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or age.