Frequently Asked Questions
What makes our school a co-op?
Our school is a co-op—an organization jointly owned and operated by its members, who all share in its benefits. Specific duties requested from each family in the co-op include:
- Participate in school activities.
- Support all fund-raising efforts as able.
- Help in a more significant role with at least one fund-raising event.
- Spend a minimum of 2 days in the classroom during the school year.
- Contribute snacks 1-2 weeks each year.
- Help with classroom clean-up 2 times a year.
- Help sanitize restroom surfaces 3 times a year.
Who runs our school?
St. Anthony Park Co-op Preschool is a parent-owned non-profit cooperative; we are not affiliated with the church from which we rent space. An elected parent board determines policy and tuition. They also hire our two experienced, caring teachers who develop the curriculum and teach.
Who goes to our school?
Enrollment is limited to 23 children. Preference is given to siblings of children currently enrolled and of alumni. SAP Co-op Preschool serves all individuals who are eligible for its programs in a nondiscriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability or age. Children must be 3-5 years old and toilet trained. The St. Anthony Park Co-op Preschool does not discriminate on the basis of race or religious affiliation.
How much does it cost?
Tuition is $165 a month. There is no application fee, but upon admission there is a non-refundable registration fee of $100.
When does our school meet?
School meets on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings, from 9:00-11:40 AM The school year starts the 2nd week in September and finishes the 3rd week of May, with holidays following the St. Paul Public Schools.
Is there any extended day programming in the afternoon?
There is an option for an extended day (to 1:30 PM) on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The extended day option (Lunch Buddies) costs $13 per day.
What is the philosophy of our school?
We support all the learning our children are doing, at their own pace and in their own style. We think learning is exciting, whether social, emotional, or academic. We also think the best gift we can give children is to carefully observe them and work with them and their parents to develop the skills they’re trying to master.
What activities do the children do?
Caring professional teachers create a learning environment that is fun. We do not espouse a formal academic program, and instead focus on social skills, personal growth, and exposure to academic concepts. We provide many different activities:
- Art exploration: painting, drawing, collage, chalk, beads, printing
- Building and problem solving: blocks, puzzles, matching and sorting games
- Dramatic play: "house," dress-up, puppets, cars/ trucks
- Group activities: stories, music, finger-plays, dancing, cooking
- Large muscle play: climbing, wheel toys, balance beam, dancing, outdoor playground
- Sensory play: sand, water, play-dough, seeds, clay, woodworking
- Pre-academic play: counting, observing nature, asking questions, learning letters, numbers, shapes and colors
Is the school religiously affiliated?
Our school rents space from, but is not affiliated with, the St. Anthony Park United Church of Christ at 2129 Commonwealth Ave., St. Paul.